When I lived in New Mexico, I always told people I was from Nebraska. I never wanted to claim New Mexico as my home state, even though I'd lived there since I was three years old. I loved to bash the "Land of Disenchantment" and I often complained about the hot weather, lack of rain, hardly any winter, and serious shortage of "good" shopping.
This past weekend, Nate and I traveled back to Albuquerque for a big family get-together. In short, we went home. That's exactly how it felt as soon as we stepped into the airport, while we ate green chile-smothered enchiladas at Los Cuates, while we enjoyed the quick Friday afternoon rain shower, how we felt our allergies kick in within two hours of landing, and when we walked around UNM campus/Nob Hill. It's great to go back to a place and know your way around with your eyes closed. Sure things change, but mostly they stay the same. It's wonderful to have so many memories wrapped up in a place and to know that those experiences helped shape who I've become now. We've lived in Texas for over a year and a half and it still doesn't feel like home when we step into the airport or make the long drive to our side of the Metroplex.
So, I'm not ready to move back to Albuquerque, but I am ready to finally call New Mexico home.
No comments:
Post a Comment