We had a very Fort Worth-centric weekend, and it was wonderful.
I was out of bed unusually early on Saturday since we had to take my car in for an oil change and its annual inspection. However, getting up early allowed us to pack in a lot of fun activities around our corner of Fort Worth. After dropping the Jetta off for service, we headed up Camp Bowie to Eurotazza Coffeehouse for some lattes and a bran muffin. We enjoyed our drinks by the window and looked wistfully at the patio. By 9:30 a.m. it was already too hot and humid for our tolerance.
We then headed to the New Balance store to try on new workout shoes. I, as usual, went with the intent to buy. Nate, as usual, went with the intent to shop around and carefully consider his options. We had a very nice salesman who helped us find some great cross-trainers and inserts designed for our unique feet. We left with His & Her matching cross-trainers (mine in pink, his in blue), socks, and inserts. I think it’s hilarious and kind of cute that we have matching workout shoes. Nate does not think so, but will at least concede that his shoes are very comfortable.
Our afternoon consisted of a very nice lunch at the Modern Art Museum Cafe, overlooking the reflecting pool. We were very lucky and slipped in five minutes before a huge tour bus arrived. Two weeks ago Nate received an email alert about the new Marsden Hartley exhibit at the Amon Carter Museum. This museum is quickly becoming one of my favorites, for many reasons: it is easily accessible, free, not crowded, has a gorgeous view of downtown, the limestone walls inside are absolutely beautiful, and the quality of the exhibits is impeccable. We thoroughly enjoyed the Marsden Hartley exhibit, especially since it reminded us of what we love about the New Mexican landscape. I was amazed at how he captured the exact green color of the desert shrubs. Nate loved his depictions of the New Mexican desert skies. We were also intrigued by the maps exhibit, charting the Westward expansion from 1800-1900. Both Nate and I are fascinated by maps, and we spent about 30 minutes poring over the intricate exhibit.
We rested at home for about an hour, and then were ready to spend a night on the town with Andrew and Anna. Back in early March we all purchased tickets for Spamalot at Bass Hall. We all met at a new restaurant in our neighborhood, Winslow’s Wine CafĂ©. Nate and I have been watching this restaurant’s progress for months – it is a very sweet redo of an old filling station, with a modern touch. Anna and I had a glass of Proseco, and the guys had a glass of Tempranillo – we toasted to fun and friendship, and enjoyed our pizzas. The production of Spamalot was hilarious and well-done. We were all familiar with the Monty Python sketches and thoroughly enjoyed this adaptation.
We started Sunday with an hour-long walk around the neighborhood, Riley in tow. It had rained overnight and a little that morning, so it was cool outside by Texas summer standards. But it was still incredibly sticky outside. I don’t think we’ll ever get used to that feeling. However, Riley and her humans were happy to be out in the beautiful, quiet neighborhood.
On Sunday afternoon we toured two Village Homes open houses: Hilltop and the Southern Living Idea House in Idlewild. Hilltop is in our neighborhood, just off 7th street. It is a sublime example of modern and classic architecture and design elements. Plus, it has amazing views of downtown Fort Worth from the master bedroom and the rooftop deck. The Idlewild house was interesting – Nate felt that the $10.00 admission price was a bit much. I did too, I suppose. Even though proceeds went to charity, I wondered how much actually were donated; plus Village Homes will get a nice tax break. That aside, it was fun to tour the giant house. We especially loved the textiles and many fixtures throughout.
The rest of the afternoon was spent at home watching the disappointing Euro 2008 final. We had such high hopes for Germany, and they played so poorly. Nate has definitely gotten me hooked on soccer ever since the World Cup two summers ago. Since he doesn’t watch much (if any) sports, it is so fun to watch soccer with him. He really gets into the games, knows all the players, and has been coaching me on all the rules. I think the international aspect of soccer is fabulous, and it doesn’t hurt that most of the games are in HD!
We grilled some salmon, asparagus, and corn for dinner and then watched a movie. It was a busy weekend, and not altogether restful since we had a full agenda, but a good weekend. I’m already looking forward to the three-day 4th of July weekend ahead!
No comments:
Post a Comment