12 February 2009

Nesting

I have resisted posting lately because I don’t want my few loyal readers to get bored of the “baby talk”. But I’ve realized that I can’t help it. Perhaps it has something to do with my ever-growing belly and the massive kicks/pokes/jabs I feel all day (and night) long. Also, if my blog is to be a small record of my life, then let it be known that I have Wadsworth on the brain almost every second of every day. And I’m sure that will continue once he/she has made his/her entrance to the world and I am actually a mommy! (Wow, that sounds so cool - “Mommy!”)

Throughout my pregnancy, Nate has laughed at me because I “always” exhibit the symptoms of whatever I’m supposed to be exhibiting that week. For example, if I read in my pregnancy book that I was supposed to be getting leg cramps in the second trimester, I just happened to wake up with leg cramps one morning at 24 weeks. If I got a weekly email from a pregnancy website that stated I was supposed to be having very vivid and weird dreams, the next morning I’d tell Nate all about it. So, what is the recent symptom of the third trimester? Nesting. And I’ve got it bad.

I have recently developed this overwhelming urge to organize our house and get everything in order prior to Wadsie’s arrival. Yesterday, I was itching to get the diaper bag ready and we won’t even need it for at least 6-7 weeks. For the past few weeks I have wanted to prepare the nursery. Thankfully, we’ve had a shower at work two weeks ago, our family/friends shower last weekend, the arrival of a bookcase and changing table last weekend, and the crib is coming this weekend. Now that our little house is being taken over with baby stuff we finally have places to put everything. It is exciting and a little overwhelming. People have been amazingly generous and I think we have just about everything we need. But it is still surreal to stand at the changing table or pick up a rattle, knowing that in a few weeks we will be routinely using those items.

I’m also getting the urge to organize the rest of our house – like the guest room closet, which needs to hold all my scrapbooking accessories as well as all the items that were previously in the nursery’s closet. I even wanted to rearrange the pantry so I wouldn’t have to do so after the baby arrives. Our bedroom closet is pretty organized since we cleaned it well after a donation prior to Christmas, but I still have some plans. I’m trying not to take on too much, what with being 8 months pregnant, feeling absolutely huge, and tiring easily. I’m just a perfectionist and I want everything in order before all the disorder arrives!

No comments: