26 June 2009

Three months old!

Dear sweet Abby,

You are three months old today!  I can hardly believe that just a seemingly short time ago I was only dilated 5 cm, had just gotten my epidural, and was waiting fairly patiently to see what you would be!  I had no clue that you would turn out to be our wonderful Abigail Jane, or the little Abby-Doodle as your daddy has now named you.

My favorite part of the day is walking in your room and seeing you for the first time.  You are usually stirring a little, chatting or "fake" crying, or most days - sucking your right thumb.  You don't like getting your diaper changed right away, mostly because you want to eat!  But I work quickly to get you changed and ready for breakfast.  And as soon as we sit down in our comfy glider, you latch on immediately and are happy.  Sometimes you aren't quite awake and you put your hand and arm over your eyes.  It is so cute!

You have been sleeping eight hours a night for the past five weeks.  You are amazing!  Mommy and Daddy have been so enjoying getting a full night's rest, and I'm sure you are enjoying it as well.  You also fall right to sleep every night, and sometimes I can put you in your crib while you are still awake.  I walk quietly into our bedroom and turn on the monitor, hoping I don't hear a cry.  But I don't - you love your bed!  Sometimes Mommy and Daddy laugh because we hear you sucking on your thumb as you get ready for your sweet dreams.

Your smiles are what makes my day.  You are a morning baby, through and through.  I get the biggest smiles in the morning.  One day soon you are going to break into the biggest laugh, and it will melt my heart into a puddle.  Daddy also gets huge smiles as he shaves and gets ready for work.  I don't know how he leaves you each day, but at least he knows that he gets to come home to his little sweetie.

Last week we went on your first vacation - to the great state of Nebraska.  And you were an absolute CHAMP!  We drove for 14 hours each way, stopping for nursing and changing breaks, through the searing heat of Kansas, and you slept so well and only cried a little bit.  I should clarify - you only cried (hard) during the last 10 minutes of our trip into Nebraska.  You were tired of the car seat and wanted Mommy to hold you.  But as soon as we stopped and Grandma scooped you up out of the car, you quieted down and readied yourself for the new sights and sounds of the farm land.  It was such a joy introducing you to my extended family - all the aunts, uncles, cousins, and my 96-year-old grandfather.  You are his 20th great-grandchild, and what a blessing you are!

Thank you for your love and the snuggles you give me.  I am so proud to be your mommy and to watch you grow, change and develop every day.  I look forward to each and every milestone.

I carry your heart in my heart,
Mama

No comments: