08 February 2008

Conservative Post #1

This is just another part of the liberal mindset that I cannot understand. http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/07/berkeley.protests/index.html

If these protestors lived in another country on this planet (say Iraq or any other Middle Eastern country, among others), they would most likely be in danger of being killed or seriously hurt for protesting a government institution in such a manner. However, since these protestors live in the good old United States of America, they have the right to free speech. Good for them and good for all of us living here that we have those rights.

However, what I don’t understand is that these people are protesting something on a platform of peace, yet, their messages are not peaceful, nor respectful to the military officials who have fought in the Iraq war or other wars. One protestor’s sign said, "No Military Predators in Our Town." What do you think would happen if I held a sign up across the street from these protestors saying, “No Hippie Weirdos in Our Town”? Does anyone dare charge these protestors with a "hate crime"? To me, their words are just the same as my proposed signage or people that are charged with hate crimes against other people like gays and lesbians or people of ethnic backgrounds. Do these protestors understand that had this country not defended them against predators, terrorists, psychos, and dictators of the world, they would NOT have the freedoms we have today? I have a friend fighting in Iraq right now, and it drives me nuts that protestors like these sit around all day taunting the military. It’s disgusting, disrespectful, and does not promote ANY type of peace. It does not end the war. It does not stop hate.

Do these protestors understand that the people who joined the military had a CHOICE to join the military? I don’t think that anyone who joined the military was physically forced to join or made to sign on the dotted line. Yes, these protestors may argue that the United States military (in this case, the Marine Corps) “brainwashed” them into joining and then sent them out to fight in a useless and pointless war (their words, not mine). There lies my main argument with the liberal mindset: they don’t understand that people need to take responsibility for their actions. It’s called accountability, people. In my opinion, most liberal politicians and liberal programs don’t even comprehend accountability and its importance in human actions. People in this country need to be accountable for their actions. If you join the military, you have to face the consequences of that action. In this time of war, the consequences are that you will probably have to go to war if you join the Marine Corps. If you don’t know that, then you need to look inside yourself and figure out what’s wrong that you can’t understand that. Someone is not brainwashing you – we all have the God-given ability of CHOICE. It’s not the government’s job to fix you or create a program to fix you.

I know this argument is all over the place. But I just saw this news story and it stirred something in me today. I’m neglecting my work at the moment, and it’s going to suffer if I take too much more time out, so I’ll stop now.

There are news stories I see or hear just about every day that evoke this kind of fervor and passion inside me. Politicians and pundits make comments all the time that either get my blood boiling or send my spirit soaring. It’s going to be a long 2008.

1 comment:

burkbum said...

Ahhh... but Sara, when WalMart moves into a town -- or prepares to move into a town -- people protest. This is more similar to that scenario. They are stating that they don't want Military Recruiting "retail spaces" nor recruiters walking around. They can no more affect the military recruiters walking around than they could Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons. But, should the town have a right to disallow military recruiting "retail spaces" from opening? The government says no. But would the same be true of WalMart? The government must allow a town and its people to decide whether they will allow an adult book store within 100 yards a middle school. What about a military recruiting station? That's the argument here.

What about an abortion clinic next to a high school? It's a choice... Would you think that's OK? What if the folks who pray on the National Day of Prayer were to protest outside of the clinic and cast their own "religious" sanctimony on some woman who is making a choice?

I'd think that someone who really values free speech and the opportunity to believe however you want would simply see this as people who disagree and are using the system -- within the boundaries of what is legal -- to make the place they live how they want. You have that right too. :)

Also, you might want to see the kind of kids these recruiters ... and I will say "prey upon" because in most cases, they are approaching kids unsolicited behind their parent or guardians' backs -- they will approach kid when they're 17, when they're still under guardianship, and yes, they will brainwash the kids.

There is a very good Frontline about this... find it. It will make you think twice about the "purity" of the military recruitment process.

p.s., I work in Aerospace so my allegiance -- though complex -- is not too different from yours.