20 May 2009

A walk around the park

Today Abby and I took a walk around the park. I had a huge burst of energy because she slept for 7 hours straight last night! I would love to make that a routine, but as I know from my limited experience, I have to take things one day at a time. Boy, is that something I'm not used to!

Anyway, back to our walk; it was delightful! We left the house around 10:15 a.m. and there was a nice breeze. Thankfully, summer has not quite reared it's ugly head yet. I think it was only 80 degrees out, just about what I can stand. Abby was awake and alert for most of the walk. I think she was enthralled by all the new sounds - birds chirping, cars, dogs barking, construction workers doing their thing, etc. She is also starting to move her hands a lot more and they were what I could see most of from my view while pushing her in the pram. She also is grasping things here and there - today she grasped a tie on the side of the Bugaboo - so cute! On the turn home, she fell asleep with one arm up and the other snuggled in her blanket. So, mommy enjoyed about 20 minutes of "me time" on the back porch with a bowl of strawberries, a book, and Riley sitting at my feet.

I am getting such a kick out of our little Abby-doodle (Nate's new nickname for her). She now stares at either of us when we're holding her, and is more active when she's awake. She has started smiling, too! Today she gave Nate a big smile as he left for work. Yesterday, I had her in the bouncer and she smiled three times! I have been trying to pique her interest in her Hello Kitty rattle - nothing much yet - just give her a few days! Although, she does respond to the sound of the rattle. She's also started focusing on the flower mobile above her swing. It often lulls her to sleep. And that's where she's sitting right now. She's been asleep for a bit, but has started stirring a little; her eyes are little slits right now. I've finally started learning how and when to wake her, and when she'll fall back asleep. Last night's successful sleep time was partly due to the fact that she now "talks" herself to sleep.

I'm off to take a little nap. Drowsy Abby makes me drowsy, too!

No comments: