05 May 2010

Bookworm


Currently, there are two special stacks of books in our house, one in the master bedroom and one in the living room. There is also an ever-growing shelf of books in a special little girl's room. Yes, I'm talking about Abby's books. And in our little house, it seems like there are books everywhere.

It's my dream come true.

Our little 13-month-old is on her way to becoming a serious bookworm.

Every morning after breakfast Abby has playtime in the living room. Her toy box sits in a corner, along with her dolly, stuffed animals, blocks, and xylophone. She typically enjoys pulling everything out of her toy box, banging on the xylophone or blocks, or snuggling with her stuffed animals. Not anymore. She has discovered that there are things in her room that are much more interesting.

Books.

After finishing breakfast I place Abby on the floor in the living room while I clean up the dishes and get started to work on my laptop. Abby surveys the room for a few minutes, and then she's off - crawling at a rapid pace, down the hallway and into her room. I find her standing at the bookshelf, having deftly pulled herself up to the second shelf, book in hand. Other books are strewn about her feet. A few minutes later, she's sitting among the books, one in hand, open (sometimes upside down), and she's pointing at the pictures and words, chattering away. It is beyond cute.

I can leave her in there for 15 minutes or so, while I work. Sometimes I don't hear anything, so I go in to check on her. Every so often she's trying to get in the closet or inspecting some other item in her room. But more often than not, she's "reading" a book, sucking her thumb, with her trusty Chewie in hand.

Other times I hear a little huffing and puffing, along with a "clop, clop, clop." It's Abby, coming down the hallway, holding a board book. And she's on her way to Mama. I then feel a tug on my leg, as she pulls herself up to stand by my chair, shoving the book at me and saying, "uh uh uh!" READ TO ME!

So, I stop what I'm doing and pull her up to my lap. Abby loves nothing better than sitting in my lap or Daddy's, listening to a story. She does this when we're sitting at the desk in our bedroom. Her pile of books is sitting on the TV's bass unit in that room, perfect height for a little gal. Or, she does this while we are sitting on the couch in the living room. Abby is getting close to being able to climb right up the sofa herself!

I absolutely love cuddling with her and reading a story, even if she insists I read that story three times. I'll always stop what I am doing to take a timeout for reading. I love watching her brow furrow every so often as she looks at the pictures and words. I wonder what she's thinking! I love reading the silly books, the books with funny pictures, the books with great rhymes, and I love sharing new stories none of us have heard before. I love the books she wants us to read over and over and over, like Pat the Bunny, Mommy Hugs, Daddy Kisses, and Snuggle Puppy.

My favorite part of the night is right before bed, having read a couple books, but we always end with Goodnight, Moon. Abby points at the moon, and the red balloon, and the lovely fire in the bunny's room. And then she grabs her Chewie, puts her thumb in her mouth, and snuggles with me or Daddy. Ahhh...the power of books.

I am excited for Abby to have what I hope is a lifetime of loving books.

No comments: