02 November 2010

The Big 3-0

My 30th birthday has come and gone…and I don’t feel much different. I’m thankful for that. I was dreading this birthday and the thought of leaving my 20s. But thanks to family and friends I had a wonderful birthday weekend and am no longer scared about feeling “old”. 30 is the new 20, or so I’ve heard.

Nate took me out for a wonderful dinner at Lanny’s the night before my birthday. His grandparents were visiting from Albuquerque, so we had a couple hours to ourselves, to enjoy our favorite restaurant, a mere three blocks from our house. Lanny’s has quietly become our go-to restaurant for occasions, and for non-occasions, but mostly just an amazing little restaurant where we can enjoy an equally amazing meal. We started out with one of their signature drinks: the caipirinha. Yum. The amuse bouche was seared foie gras on peanut butter and jelly toast (actually it was almond butter and ancho jelly). Nate and I had never had foie gras before and were a little apprehensive…but, down the hatch it went, smoothly and deliciously. Cross off another milestone before turning 30!

I had a salad with Roquefort, pears and house-cured duck prosciutto and Nate enjoyed pumpkin soup with smoked ham hock. Our entrees were absolutely stunning and very tasty. I had lobster tail atop a polenta cake with Mexican vanilla sauce and saffron corn puree. And Nate ordered rack of lamb with a potato relleno, broccolini and a Dijon demi-glace. Lanny’s knows how to make a mean rack of lamb that melts in one’s mouth! For dessert the birthday girl didn’t have to make a choice, so we had key lime goat cheesecake and the most mouthwatering, fluffy, and hot churros I’ve ever had – dark chocolate sauce for me and milk chocolate for Nate. It was a perfect evening out and a very special few hours with my wonderful husband.

The next day was Halloween - my birthday! We lazed around in our Sunday jammies while I opened some sweet gifts from family and friends. Then it was off to brunch at Joe T’s, where we had perfect weather, a perfect table up front, and a perfect view of the mariachi band. Nate spent the early afternoon baking me a sour cream chocolate bundt cake while Abby napped. I may have gotten a nap in too. Ha!

G&P stayed home while the three Walters’ loaded up in the car and headed to a neighborhood a few miles away. We met the Cloggs and proceeded to trick-or-treat with the three kiddos and about 5,000 other people. It was a lot of fun because everyone in the neighborhood sat on their incredibly festive front porches and handed out candy. Abby refused to wear her costume; perhaps she’d had enough of wearing it while I opened my birthday gifts? However, her best bud, Avery, held her hand and showed her the ropes. Charlie supervised from the stroller and tested candy. I think by next year we’ll have a few seasoned veterans when it comes to Halloween. Abby walked about a mile and only melted down when it was time to be held and get in the car. She keeps asking about “trick-treatin?” and “How-ween?” Aaaah…a girl after my own heart. Until next year, my sweet little owl!

1 comment:

Little Bird said...

Abby is the CUTEST owl I have ever seen!!!