Last week marks a very important milestone for me. I’ve lost 10 pounds since I joined a gym on June 29. That is a huge accomplishment for me and I am so proud of my hard work. You may remember that I wrote about going to the gym and how I hoped it would become a habit. Well, it has. And it feels good.
Part of the reason I am so proud of this accomplishment is because it has only to do with me. What I mean is that losing 10 pounds, going to the gym 4-5 days a week, and working with a personal trainer are all things that I did. These fitness goals all are about a lifestyle to which I have committed. I get to spend an hour of every day with the weights, the cardio machine, my iPod, and my own thoughts. Sure, I have an awesome cheerleader and supporter in my husband, Nate. But in the end, this is something that involves no one else but me.
It is nice to have something to call my own. Over the past two years I have been consumed with being a mother and a wife. Those are the best jobs in the world, but I often feel like no one sees me for who I am. These days people usually begin their conversations with me as follows: “How’s Abby? What’s new with Abby?” When I walk in a room or in a store, people see my daughter first, and me second; or maybe they don’t even notice me at all.
However, this weekend, many cousins and uncles were in town for the Big 12 Championship football game. When I saw two of my female cousins, they both remarked on how good I looked – before saying anything to me about Abby. One of my uncles said I looked so different from when he’d seen me two months ago, and in a good way.
I am enjoying purchasing smaller clothes sizes. It feels good again to look in the mirror. My gym also tracks Body Mass Index (BMI) and inches lost. My BMI has reduced drastically and I’ve lost almost two inches in every area of measurement (neck, chest, waist, hips, thighs, biceps, and calves). I am looking forward to my next doctor’s appointment because I know my cholesterol numbers will be lower.
It’s not always easy to make myself go to the gym. It’s not always easy to work hard while I’m there. My trainer, Alex, does an excellent job of motivating me, pushing me, and keeping me interested. I work with him three days a month, but when he sees me at the gym outside our scheduled sessions he comes over and pushes me then, too.
The results at this six-month point are what matters to me. They are not the end result by any means. I’m working toward more weight loss, more strength/endurance training, and better overall health. And for once it feels good to do something and know it really is all about me.
No comments:
Post a Comment