Last night Nate and I sat on our back porch, wearing sweatshirts and drinking hot tea! Riley chased squirrels and crunched through fallen leaves. I actually shivered at one point. Autumn is on its way to Texas and we couldn't be more excited. Both Nate and I could smell the change of season in the air and what a glorious scent that is. This is my favorite time of year. And while we might have one or two more "summer relapses" here in North Texas, I'm happy knowing that good weather and other fun is on the horizon.
I'm going to bake an apple pie this weekend, and we're going to decide which delicious-looking dinner recipes to try in the new Gourmet and Bon Appetit magazines. In the summer, we barely read those magazines (except for the grilling recipes) and they sit in a pile, dejected and sad. But in the autumn, we read and reread those magazines, often having a difficult time choosing what to make first. Will it be beef stew, braised lamb, a medley of roasted root vegetables, chicken pot pie, pecan pie, gingersnaps? The list goes on and on. Now all we need are some eager visitors and friends to come over and help us devour these autumn feasts.
In the meantime, I'm going to start making a mental list of all the ingredients we'll need for the upcoming Thanksgiving dinner...and then I'll start thinking about where to put all our new German Christmas decorations and what we're going to put in our Christmas cards. Wait! I'm getting ahead of myself, there's still another great holiday in there to celebrate at the end of this month! I better get started on some chocolate-frosted black cat and bat-shaped sugar cookies, and I'll need a bowl of candy near the front door. Like I said before, this is my favorite time of year.
No comments:
Post a Comment