After I came home from a recent girls night, Nate and I had the following exchange:
Nate: "How was your girls night?"
Sara: "It was fun. I really enjoyed myself."
Nate: "What did y'all talk about?"
Sara: "Well, we talked about our weight..."
Nate, interrupting me: "What? Are you kidding me?"
No, I was not kidding. Nate thought what I said was hilarious, and then he wondered why the heck we'd do that. I tried to tell him how the subject came up, a little bit of what we discussed (without giving too much away because he knows these gals), and why the topic was important to us. Nate's eyes then started to glaze over and I could tell he was bored. Of course he was! And that's why women usually save those certain topics for discussion with their friends or other women.
Nate is my best friend and we have the kind of relationship where I can tell him anything. When we first moved to Texas and didn't have many friends around, Nate became my sounding board for any topic: weight, hair color, wedding details, celebrity gossip, etc. Nate is very patient and caring, so he will engage in discussions with me on such topics, or he'll just listen. But I do remember very clearly when Nate finally was fed up one day; he asked me to please save those topics for my friends, if at all possible. So, although Nate has often given me good fashion advice (even if he wants me to wear brown all the time), I've saved those topics for my girlfriends. Sometimes you just need a night out with the girls to get all those "weighty" topics off your mind, to gossip, and to talk about stuff your husband just doesn't understand (and is probably glad he doesn't have to hear anyway)!
No comments:
Post a Comment