26 April 2009

Not enough hours in the day

I have so many things I want to get down on paper (or on the blog) now that I am a mother.  However, the days go by so quickly.  It is unbelievable to me that Abby is already over a month old.  I have almost forgotten what it was like being pregnant.  Sometimes I forget some details of her actual birth day.  We've been blessed with many visitors (and more to come) in her first month; and all those visits seem to have flown by.  I've been home from work with Abby and the days are full, but they blend together.  I'm trying to write down little things she does every day or fill in parts of her baby book so I don't forget anything.

We are home alone this weekend, just the kiddo, parents and Riley.  It is nice.  We enjoy the visitors, but it is fun to have our family time together.  Yesterday morning we all took a 45-minute walk around the neighborhood - me pushing the pram and Nate wrangling the dog.  It was one of the first really humid mornings we've had in a long time.  Sigh.  That means summer is just about here.  The rest of the day we just lounged and I managed to sneak in a two-hour nap.  Nate had some of his favorite time with Abby.  She cuddles in the crook of his arm while he lays on our comfy couch.  It is too cute.  He can watch her little rosebud mouth move or listen to her little coos.  Sometimes she sucks on her passie and makes the funniest chatter/gurgling noise.  It's funny because you'd expect that noise to be muted since there's something shoved in her mouth.  But it's actually a fairly loud noise.

When I'm home with Abby we have a nice routine of nursing, sleeping and wake-time.  As cliche as it sounds, I could literally stare at her for hours.  Recently, Abby's two favorite pastimes are being rocked and having tummy time.  She lays on her Daddy's baby blanket in the living room and kicks around, holds her head up, and turns from side to side.  This usually lasts about 15-20 minutes, until Abby is tired and starts banging her face against the blanket, fussing, and pretty much telling mommy, "I've had enough!"  As for rocking, when she was only a few weeks old she'd have her eyes closed most of the time.  Nowadays we rock after she's nursed and burped.  During this time she has her eyes open and we both stare at each other.  It's really neat how she definitely knows my face.  I marvel at her chubby soft cheeks and her button nose.  Sometimes it's hard not to kiss her a ton (even though I do) because a lot of times I want her to fall asleep so I try not to wake her.

Since the day she was born, my favorite thing about Abby has been when she yawns.  She has the longest "yawn time" I've ever seen.  Her mouth opens wide and her head stretches back.  Sometimes she extends her arms over her head.  It is too cute and to me it is such a mark of her personality.  I'm excited to get to know her.  I love learning new things about her every hour of the day.

No comments: